Spend the entire day strolling around Male and Villimale island on this comprehensive Full-Day Male Walking Tour- Maldives
With a guide in the lead and a carefully curated itinerary, you won’t have to worry about missing any important sights.
In Male, stop by the local fish market, the President’s Palace, the Friday Mosque, and Sultan Park. Pause for lunch in a waterside restaurant (own expense) before moving on to Villimale to explore the quieter side of the island, sampling traditional “Hedika” before returning to your starting point.
- All transportation between Male and Villimale.
- Snacks and afternoon tea to get a taste of traditional Maldivian food.
- The guide provides all navigation and commentary.
- A comprehensive walking tour is great for first-time visitors.
Full-Day Male Walking Tour – Maldives
- Your tour starts with an overview of Male and the harbor area, a very important aspect of any island nation.
- Passing by the oldest school in the city, learn about the education system and why the Maldives has a 98% literacy rate. Visit Hukuru Miskiiy – Old Friday Mosque and the tomb of Abu -al – Barakaath and learn why the Maldives converted to Islam and how the Islamic faith underpins everyday life.
- Stop for a refreshing cup of traditional black tea at Royal Garden Café, a popular spot for locals. Housed in a rare example of a ‘Ganduvaru’ a nobleman’s house, it provides a great example of traditional dark carved wood interiors.
- Stopping at the November 3rd Memorial, hear the story of how 8 brave military servicemen died in the protection of their country from a terrorist attack in 1988. Wander through Sultan Park, a reference to the time the Maldives was governed by a sultanate with an optional visit to the National Museum. (Note: Entrance fee not included).
- Walking back towards the harbor area, pass by the Grand Friday Mosque and the Islamic Centre, Male’s famous architectural landmark, and onto Jumhooree Maiden – Independence Square. From here, learn the meaning of the Maldives national flag and pick out key government buildings.
- Heading west along the harbor, visit the bustling fish market and the local market, where the sights, sounds, and smells will fill your senses. Chat with the local stallholders and taste tropical produce and homemade sweets.
- Your guide will provide a selection of lunchtime restaurant options based on your tastes.
- Following lunch jump into a taxi with your guide in order to reach the terminal where your ferry departs to Villimale from.
- The island, once a resort and also a prison, was ‘developed’ to assist with the ever-growing population of Male. It offers the ideal escape from the ever-busy capital city. Wide, open streets, an abundance of greenery so unlike Male, two local beaches, and a peaceful almost tranquil atmosphere.
- Stepping off the ferry in Villimale, you may not be stepping back in time but you will be able to understand and visualize how the city islands would have been prior to urban modernization. A 60-minute walking tour of the island will allow you to understand and appreciate the local way of ‘city’ life and learn how the local community works together to protect their environment.
- Sample ‘Hedika’ local savory snacks served with black tea and allow your taste buds to discover Maldivian flavors. Before returning to the ‘big city,’ we take time to sit back and relax in true Maldivian style and watch the sunset colors fill the sky.
Timing: 10 AM Daily
Inclusion: Full-Day Male Walking Tour- Maldives
- Round-trip shared transfer from Male to Villimale
- Local guide
- Afternoon tea and snacks
- Local taxes
- Bottled water
- Donation to Save the Beach NGO